Accidents happen, or so they say. Somehow, that doesn’t make you feel any better when you’ve dropped your brand new iPhone, busting that previously smooth, sleek glass touch screen. You’ve gone through modified stages of grief, yelled and screamed, shed more than a few tears, and frantically tried to figure out how to hide the “incident” from your spouse. Finally, you arrive at acceptance, or, in other words, decide that you need to repair it yourself. Don’t worry; it’s not as difficult as you may think. With just a few simple tools, including a heat gun, you can repair your iPhone yourself.
Here are the basic steps you’ll need to take to repair the screen on your iPhone so well that no one will ever know the difference.
• First of all, make sure you have a heat gun. If not, it’s time to contact us at Master Appliance, where you’ll find heat guns to meet all your needs.
• Remove the SIM tray by sticking a paperclip into the tiny hole at the top and unscrew the two screws at the bottom by the charging port. By the way, you’ve just voided your warranty. Console yourself by checking out your new heat gun.
• Gently pry the frame loose, using either a very small knife or, better still, a small suction cup.
• Disconnect the cables that should be labeled 1, 2, and 3.
• If you’re getting nervous, check out your new heat gun again.
• Separate the LCD from the frame by removing the six screws. Gently, oh so gently, lift the LCD away from the frame using your knife or other thin instrument. We shouldn’t have to mention it, but be careful not to break it.
• Time to use your heat gun. Take a moment again to truly appreciate its uniqueness and beauty. And now, comes the art in the science. Heat the glass and underlying adhesives just enough to remove the glass, but not so much that you melt the plastic or rubber. If your glass is broken in multiple pieces, you can use your heat gun in short bursts and remove one piece at time with tweezers. If you’ve made the mistake of attempting this with a hairdryer, be aware that you won’t get nearly the control as you will with a heat gun.
• Clean the frame.
• Utilizing cut tape strips or double-sided tape, put in the new front panel.
• Reassemble your iPhone.
Now you get to pretend that your phone never broke in the first place. Also, now that you’ve got your heat gun out, it’s time to put it to use in a million and one other ways. Oh yeah, and be sure to get a protective case for your phone.