If you have leather seats in your vehicle or furniture in your home, then you know doubt take great pride in keeping them clean and ware-free. After all, leather is not cheap, so keeping it in good shape prolongs its life.
So what do you do if you find a tear or scratch in the leather? First, you probably panic. This is an understandable step, however unnecessary. Second, what you should do is realize that leather repair is a simple process, provided that you have a heat gun to aid your efforts.
Supplies You Will Need:
- Heat gun
- Circular repair patch
- Glue (if repair patch has no adhesive)
- Leather repair compound
- Leather dye (depends on size and color availability)
Note: Always take the proper safety precautions when using strong adhesives, dyes, and heat guns. Gloves and goggles are recommended.
1. Slip the patch under the tear or cut so that it completely seals the area and you can’t see the padding beneath.
2. Smooth the leather repair compound over the cut and apply heat with your heat gun to the effected area. Hold the heat gun at a safe distance so you do not damage surrounding leather.
3. After the area is cured, apply the leather dye you have chosen that matches the leather. Blend it in so that the cut is no longer visible.
4. Using your heat gun (or a hair dryer, which is also a heat gun), apply heat from a safe distance to dry the dye. You may need to reapply the dye to get the perfect match.
It’s that easy.
For more information on how Master Appliance can help you with all of your heat tool needs, contact us any time.